Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Rejoice-Lily

So, just a warning, this post is going to be really long and has nothing to do with bible study, but it is about God, so it's all good. It's just something I've been thinking and praying and studying recently.

A few nights ago, Brina and I were having a late-night conversation on how horrible society and life is. Brina made a comment on how life is degrading in pretty much every aspect and I replied "No, it's already dead." That seems like a very depressing and pessimistic thought, however it is actually not that bad if you understand three things.

The first is simple: when I say life is dead I mean that it is spiritually fallen and destroyed.

The second is that Jesus died. Physically died. During the entire crucifixion process He could have died like four times. The Romans were very focused on killing people, they were pro murderers. There was absolutely no way that He was somehow still alive physically after He was buried in the tomb.

Third is that it is easier to raise someone spiritually than it is to raise someone physically. I think everyone can agree on that. You can revive someone's spirit by smiling at them, but bringing someone back to life requires much more.

So if Jesus died and then rose again, and I mean He really was dead and then started walking and talking to His friends, then what's so bad about us being spiritually dead? If Jesus can lift us up, brush us off, and teach us how to live, then we don't have to worry about our death any more. We don't have to care. We don't have to act like zombies because the one who defeated physical death can easily raise us spiritually!

And now I get to my point about rejoicing.

Rejoice in the Lord always. And again I will say, rejoice!
Philippians 4:4

The word rejoice is defined as "to feel or express joy or triumph." I was playing an arrangement of Good Christian Men, Rejoice and something in the music reminded me of a victory. I thought about the word rejoice and kind of realized that you don't always have to be exultant and chipper, but really, just realize that God has already won this battle and rejoice in that.

I struggle with this pretty often when something I read in a book confuses me or misleads me. Then something happens in my life that confuses me even more and I feel far away from God and terrible and everything. At that point, I forget that I've already won the war, even though in this particular battle it looks like I'm losing.

So, to close up, rejoice in what Jesus did for you. You don't have to lose anymore.

"Smells like I'm winning."

Thanks for reading! Well, if you did read this really long post. I'd love to hear anything you have to say about the matter or a song that applies or something (and pretty much every single worship song does).

Lily

7 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS9TZxvbi9M
    We Win! by DC*B. bam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song! It's so true! =) Fantastical post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever heard Always, by Kristian Stanfill? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzJH4YeqfuQ) it talks about how God is never slow to coming, how he can become our refuge and strength. As humans, we will always lose. But if we let our souls rest in him, we don't have to fear the war. That's what the song is about. It speaks to our fear and rejoices in the triumph God gives us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anna Why do you say that we're not winning?

    ReplyDelete
  5. the song is wrong then. Were not suposed to be affraid, but where in the bible does God say "when you call i will come immediately"?

    we arnt winning. life is moving tward decay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Romans 8:1-2 says "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death." It sure sounds victorious to me! But I get what you're saying and though I still believe we're triumphant, it's a serious and legit question.

    God never claims to 'come immediately to our call', but Hebrews 13:5b-6 says "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

    Also, 1 John 4 talks about how God is love, and through Jesus he showed us that love. vs 16 says "And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them." Specifically remember that GOD IS LOVE. and what does 1 Corinthians 13 tell us about love? It never fails, it conquers all, it is long suffering and kind and never proud, never angered.

    So God is on our side.

    Yes, I can agree that "life" as a general term is moving toward decay. Honestly, people suck. But that's why "we" as Christians are supposed to share the gospel. Because we're sharing God's unfailing love and the victory he gives us.

    (does that make sense?)

    ReplyDelete