Saturday, June 22, 2013

Unreserved Love is The Cost

The Cost of being a Disciple of Jesus.
Something that I know has been heavy in contemplation on my heart of late, and seemingly many others as well. I would like to take a quick moment to share a few short matter that God has been speaking to me in recent days.

For one, it is the continuous and moment by moment rejection of pride.
It is true that on this earth and in this mortal state we may never be able to fully escape the recurring darkness of the prideful spirit, but we do know that in Christ who gives us strength, we can draw closer and closer unto Him until the day of our departure so that we are growing more humble and more like Him day after day.

On, another note, there is the passage of Luke 14, which has long plagued my thoughts for it probes ideas that can at first glance seem almost unchristian and entirely contrary to the very nature of God.

Jesus expresses in this chapter, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple."

The problem that I first found in this passage was not in hating my own life, for that seems to be easy, but rather hating my family. Something that altered my ignorant perspective was the words of David Platt in his marvelous book, Radical.

He articulates in his book, after bringing up this passage, "This is where we come face to face with the dangerous reality. We do have to give up everything to follow Jesus. We do have to love Him in a way that makes our closest relationships in this world look like hate." (pg. 12-13)

This opened my eyes to an understanding that played off and added on to things that God have previously been showing me. Such as loving Him above all other things and letting Him be enough.

That was a radical realization that I had to come in my walk with God.
Am I loving His hand more than His face?
Am I loving the people and relationships He has blessed me with more than Him?
Do I ever waver in where my true love lies?

These thoughts have entered into my heart and have caused me to view how I approach God in all things in a different and more fearful manner.

For if I want to enter into the extraordinary calling He has for me, but I'm going to have to truly and radically let God change the very being of me so that I approach His throne out of a regard entirely for Him and Him alone.

Loving God more than anything. That is the cost of Christianity.
Or at least the base-plate of it.

And truly, it is worth it.
And when one day we gather together in God's holy courts to sing His praises, there will be in us no regret for all of the hardships that we have gone through on His behalf. He is more than worth it.

Grace be with you as you continue forward on the path that God has stretched out before you.
Your fellow child of the Most High King of Glory,
Jadon

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the end of chapter 12 is an example of when Jesus does exactly what you are saying. He puts the Will of the Father and the Kingdom of God, before His earthly family and obligations.

    ReplyDelete