Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Do not be afraid

Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.
-Revelation 2:10.

Suffering?
Me too.
Jesus?
Yeah, he suffered too.

The whole world suffers, and it stinks. But we've got an advantage named Christ. Some people have their escapes, their drugs, their comforts from the pain. But guys, lets head to the professional. In Revelation, the Church in Smyrna is warned about the persecution to come. They are even given a convenient time amount...ten days. (Ten days, though...ten days is a LONG time when you're suffering.)

But you know, reading this right now, I'm quite encouraged. Because yeah, I may be suffering, and I have not a clue when it will end. Ten days? I dunno. But the promise still stands. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.

And in Revelation 2:25, Jesus says to the Church in Thyatira, "Only hold on to what you have until I come." What is it that they held on to?
Jesus.

Here's something cool....I rediscovered this excerpt from a blogpost Jadon posted, like last year. In it he says, "In my personal life right now I'm facing the impossible. Last time this happened I ran away in terror. But not this time. This time I'm looking the impossible right in the eyes and saying, "Come at me bro!" =) The difference in me between then and know is where my strength is found. Last time I relied in myself for strength, and that didn't go over so well. This time though, my strength is in Jesus and He is my strength...So when the impossible comes, don't focus on the physical but the spiritual. Focus on Christ."
(http://worshipoftheheart.blogspot.com/2012/01/impossible.html)

It's the same idea. When facing the impossible, when Satan attacks you, when you're just straight up in pain--Focus on Christ. Do not let your physical circumstances scare you away. Why should you, when you have Christ to hold on to?

When Christ is holding on to you?
God, holding you in His arms. Father, comforting child.

And that is why Christ could direct his Church not to fear. "Do not be afraid," He says. So that we can say, "come at me bro!" knowing that in everything, God will walk with us. Through the valley of the shadow of death itself. You can walk into suffering, relying on Christ for strength, knowing that He will be glorified throughout it all.

But now, this is what the Lord says—
    he who created you, Jacob,
    he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine. 

 When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.

-Isaiah 43:1-2

Even to your old age and gray hairs
    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
    I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

-Isaiah 46:4
  

1 comment:

  1. I find it astounding that the Lord taught us the same lesson using the same passage in a time frame of less than 12 hours. That's pretty great! I think God's just trying to really draw our attention to this very important point. Christ is Enough. Don't do it alone. "'Do not be afraid,' He says. So that we can say, 'come at me bro!' knowing that in everything, God will walk with us."

    ReplyDelete